Have you shared your blog post on Facebook because you wanted to share valuable information or just thought it was a fun article? This adds great value to your networking efforts and will hopefully drive more visitors to your blog site.
Having a blog post that visitors come to read and then shared with their friends is the ultimate goal of any blogger and content creator. It doesn't make any difference if you are just passing the time or you are writing for a viral website, readers are looking for valuable information for a certain reason. In turn, you want these people to share your posts so you will have more traffic each and every day.
When you write worthwhile sharing content, you will receive tons of traffic to your site and this will open many new doors for many new opportunities. This is precisely why we have all seen viral posts popping up everywhere.
Writing valuable content every day is not an easy task, even if you are a leader in your field. Writer's block is a bane that every writer has experienced from time to time. Scratching your head for new topics and fresh thoughts can also be overwhelming. In order for you to have fresh ideas and find new information, you need the effective tools that will help you find what is going on within your niche and what people are talking about. You need this information right now because you create content and want to be one of the first people to have this valuable information directly in front of you.
Buzzsumo has been around for a while and offers an excellent tool to do the work for you. It will find potential viral stories that will go viral in the next few hours or a few days
. It offers a content analysis and discovery feature that will show you what has already gone viral and what topics people are talking about and sharing. This is an awesome software that will help website owners with their content planning strategy.
The downside, it is very expensive, especially for start-up businesses or small websites. Although your site might be small at this time, you still want tools that deliver the same level of excellence that the large organizations are using. Therefore, we are going to provide you with reviews of other excellent alternative tools to Buzzsumo so you can find viral content on the Internet.
As much as I loved Buzzsumo, the bottom line, it's just way too expensive for my budget. So, I decided to look around and test other tools that took a few months but finally came up with the following tools are excellent alternatives to Buzzsumo. Here Are Excellent Alternatives To Buzzsumo: Content Studio, EpicBeat, Content Explorer by Ahrefs, Graphy Stories and Right Relevance.
Keep in mind, these tools were developed as content discovery tools for finding relevant material in your niche from various sources such as blog posts, videos, pictures, etc. They all have similarities and differences meaning you will get different results that will vary. Each one has their pros and cons along with different features. So let's see which one might be a perfect match for you
- Buzzsumo allows you to find potential viral articles by going through many different web pages that have drawn the interest of people within a matter of seconds. Content Studio, created by contentstudio.io does basically the same thing. It collect stories around the Internet and using the numbers of signals from Facebook, Pinterest, and LinkedIn gives you the best potential topics.
- Another excellent features, you can monitor the topics you have chosen and by setting some conditions, you can schedule your posts on these monitored topics. Not only will you find potential viral posts, you can use it as your social media automation tool too.
- Content Studio offers 9 sources of content platforms that you can go through to find the viral stories you want. The 9 sources are Facebook, Twitter, Flickr, YouTube, Daily Motion, Giphy, Imgur, and Pixabay. Not only will you get great blog posts, you will find videos photos, and GIF images to post on your channel. This tool will help you add variations to your content strategies. Everyone knows people love watching videos and viewing fun photos or GIF images on social media. They are not just absorbing your content, they are consuming everything else.
- Content Studio offers a free plan as well as three other plans: Personal Plan for $15 a month , Professional Plan for $47 a month and Agency Plan for $97 a month. If you choose to get the Annual Payment Plan, you will receive a 20% off discount immediately.
In this review, we are focusing on its content discovery method so I will explain how to get trending topics from Content Studio software:
To find viral content, you must go to the “Discovery” tab. You will see a default screen pulling up the current viral articles from around the Internet. It works really well with English but other languages, not so well. At this time they don't seem to have that ability, I tried but it will not display other language contents.
For a test, I entered the keyword “solar eclipse” and within a matter of seconds, we got tons of results on the dashboard. You can use their time frame filter to dig deeper into the results you want. Their time frame filter options are: All Time, 24-Hours,48-Hours, 7 Days, 30 Days, This Month, Last Month, Custom Range.
Outside of using keywords for your searches, you can enter a targeted website to see what has been posted on the site that has gone viral or getting ready to go viral. Unfortunately, it will not display every website around the world. Currently, it looks for authority sites that are in the English language.
You can also select results that happen in different countries such as the U.S., UK, Canada, Germany, and many other countries. After searching the results and finding the content you want to share on your social media, you can do it straight from the dashboard right away. As I mentioned, this tool allows you to post, schedule, and automate your content through your social media channels and your blog.
- EpicBeat is an excellent tool to find trending contents and influencers quite easily. You can use this tool for unlimited searches for what you are looking for. It offers a very simple and easy to browse user interface and will take you around 5-10 minutes to get used to it and the operating platform. EpicBeat will cost $49 per month or you can pay yearly for $490.
- To use EpicBeat, it's very similar to the way you use search engines such as Google or Bing. You just enter the topic you are interested in and you will get a set of trending results displayed directly on the dashboard.
As an example, I typed in #solareclipse2017. We then got 498 results that are related to #solareclipse2017. You can dig deeper to find content that published in different time frames as follows: The Past 24 hours, The Past 3 days, The Past 1 week, The Past l month, The Past 3 months, The Past Year, Custom Range.
When you click on an article, you will notice that EpicBeat is using numbers of signals from Facebook, Google+, LinkedIn, and Pinterest to show the stats and you will see how many people liked or shared the articles. You will also see the influencers who share an article and by viewing those stats you can decide which content would fit your targeted audience the best. You can also export the results into Excel or CSV files and look at the information very quickly.
EpicBeat offers many search operators to help you dig deeper into the results. Here is a list of search operators you can use with EpicBeat:
Search for a keyword: solar
Search for two keywords: solar eclipse
Search for an exact phase: "solar eclipse"
Remove irrelevant results: solar eclipse -2016
Search by muliple keyworkds: "solar eclipse" OR "best solar eclipse photo"
Here are two search operators that are great for spying on your competition. Plugging in the target site you will discover what posts are loved, shared, and read by visitors.
Search by site: website.com
Search for keyword in a site: website.com eclipse
Here are a few other very useful search operators:
Search by author: author:"John Doe"
Search by sharer: @JohnDoe
Search by hashtag: #solareclipse2017
In a nutshell, EpicBeat is a very powerful tool that allows you to find trending topics very easily at a very affordable price. The only downside, like Content Studio, at this time it only works with content that's in the English language.
The company that own EpicBeat have a premium version of the software called EpicTrack which costs $199 per month or $1,999 for the year. EpicTrack does have more powerful features such as tracking and monitoring your brand. It also offers tracking visits and conversions and so much more. If you are interested, you can get more information here: http://www.epictions.com/pricing#epictrack
I didn't get into EpicTrack because EpicBeat is great with me and because we are reviewing cheaper alternatives to Buzzsumo. If you are interested in EpicTrack, that link will give you all information you are looking for.
Ahrefs' Content Explorer is an excellent tool for monitoring website backlinks. Unfortunately, this is another expensive tool that will cost you $99 a month on their lite plan. If you have the budget for it, I would recommend using Buzzsumo instead as it's the leading tool for content discovery. On the other hand, if you are already using Ahrefs, you have Content Explorer as an added feature included in your plan. If that's the case, you now have two very powerful tools to use for your content planning. Therefore, you do not need Buzzsumo because Content Explorer will perform the similar job without paying an extra cost. To use Content Explorer, just log in to your account and go to the “Content Explorer” tab. Enter the keyword or the URL that you want and you will get great results.
Content Explorer also uses the numbers of signals from Facebook Twitter, Google+, LinkedIn, and Pinterest to display the stats of trending articles. It will also show referring domains and you can export the results into a CSV file. You can also filter the results in different time frames: Last 24 hours, Last week, Last month, Last year, Any time.
The upside to this software, it works with many languages. This is an excellent choice for content marketers worldwide. Again, the only downside is the cost but if you already have Ahrefs then Content Explorer is a wonderful added bonus. If on the other hand, you have to buy it for content discovery and analysis purposes, you should weight it vs Buzzsumo to find out which is a better match for you.
- Graphy Stories is another good content discovery and social media monitoring tool for businesses and media agencies. They offer an intuitive, easy to navigate dashboard and will take you approximately 10 to 15 minutes to get used to its features. This tool allows you to keep an eye on the pre-viral stories within your niche and use them to create your own content related to the chosen topics or just share the pre-viral articles that have already drawn people who love the articles and love sharing them.
- Graphy Stories analyzes numbers of signals from Google Trend, Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, and LinkedIn then provide the stats of trending articles on any topic you are looking for. They have more than 5,000 international authority websites and social media accounts in their database. You can also use their content analysis tool for non-English content.
- Graphy Stories offers a 14-Day Free Trial for their service. You can use the software immediately by simply signing up and you do not have to provide any credit card information at that time. The downside to Graphy Stories, if later on, you wish to pay for the service, you will have to ask for a demo. We assume this product is targeting larger companies that can afford their rather higher price tag.
- Right Relevance is the last tool we are going review for now. Right Relevance is a content searching tool and their software is positioned as Relevance-as-a-Service. You can use their API service starting at $500 a month. The good news, you can use some of their features as an individual for free.
They also have an iOS app which is convenient for those on the go here:https://itunes.apple.com/th/app/right-relevance-relevance-via-influence/id910768441?l=th&mt=8. As far as I'm aware, this is the only viral content finding tool offering a mobile app at this time. The app actually does the job quite well but it does not match up the web version. There are also several bugs that force the app to close and it's clumsy. They really need to work on these issues.
- As this is a free service, there will be times when you cannot log in and use the service. It could be a filtering system that prevents the excessive use or maybe it's a bug. Either way, it's very frustrating when you can't use their service. If you are able to sign in, Right Relevance is one of the best free choices to find what to share on social media channels.
As an example, if you enter the keyword “solar eclipse” you will get your results. Then, you can filter the articles: All Articles, Articles Today, This Week, This Month. You can also sort the article by Relevance or by Time.
You can also use their “Influencers” tab to quickly find out who the leading figures are in your niche. From the results dashboard, you can save articles in your account to use later on. You can share articles immediately using their integrated social sharing feature which is very convenient.
They also have a “Domains” tab, you can enter the keyword and the software will pull up authority domains that have articles that are related to your search. If on the other hand, you want more information about each domain by entering the URL, there is not an option for this at the time. I prefer using EpicBeat to perform this task by entering either your website or our competitor's website and quickly see which posts are getting the most engagement at a glance.
How To Use Viral Posts For Your Marketing Plans
- Now you know there are some great tools out there to help you find great stories to draw in readers and keep them engaged. The next step is what you should do with the content and then get it delivered to your targeted audience. Here are some good ideas to use the power of viral stories to your advantage.
- Be A Content Curator: After finding the best trending stories from many different sources, collect the information and write a post that is a spin on the article you found. Add some of your own ideas to create a new touch to the topic. You can be a content curator that finds the best resources for your audience, saving them a great deal of time in searches.
- Create Topics That Are Similar: When you use the content searching tools you will get a good idea what articles people enjoy reading and are sharing with their friends. You can create your own article by providing more information or coming from a different angle that the current blogs have missed out on.
- Guest Posts: Once you have found a blog site that is related to your niche and they have a lot of followers, this would be a great opportunity to gain the interest of their members who might be interested in your product, service, and website. Reach out to the site's owner and see if they will allow you to guest post for a community outreach strategy.
- Connecting With Influencers: Without a doubt, social mediate influencers have a major impact that can help your content spread like wildfire. Using these tools, you will locate leaders in your niche that will help you reach out to the right people in each channel. Connecting with influencers will help spread the word about you and your content and targeting more audiences in a more effective way.
- Use It as Your Social Listening Tool: Social listening is the process of tracking conversations around a specific topic or phrase, words or brands. Then you must leverage them to discover more opportunities or create new content for those new and existing audiences. When you actively listen to discussions or the mention of a brand, you will not miss out on opportunities to engage, and delight prospective customers and collect excellent feedback.