Modern companies need a strong online presence. An excellent website is part of the foundation of any successful business today. This has created a high demand for web designers and others whose careers depend on the internet. If you are interested in profiting from this boom, and establishing yourself as a dependable industry expert, you must build the skills discussed here.
What Are Web Designers And What Do They Do?
While some folks think that web designers and programmers are interchangeable titles, that isn't the case. Some crossover exists, because both are involved with establishing strong website foundations.
However, the programmer is involved with the intricate coding involved in putting the site together, while the web designer breathes life into the project with aesthetics and functionality in mind.
Essential Web Design Skills:
Basic Artistic Principles
- In order to be a good web designer, you must understand the basic principles of art, and how to apply them. Even if you have some art experience from high school or craft courses, it is essential that you learn how to apply the knowledge to websites.
- Did you know that the colors you choose can deeply impact user experience on a subconscious level? Learn about color psychology and how to pick out the right color combinations.
- The layout of each page is equally important to how visitors will respond to it. Each element should have sufficient space around it to stand out. Balancing the elements and placing them in the right proportion will be essential when you are designing web pages. Basically, anyone visiting the site should experience good visual flow when checking out the work.
Programming: Not Just For Programmers
- The two types of code that you should learn first are HTML (HyperText Markup Language) and CSS (Cascading Style Sheets). The internet is framed on HTML, while CSS gives you the ability to implement the artistic skills you have learned
Vital Software Tools
In addition to laying out the pages with great coding and artistic finesse, you should learn the software associated with web design. Otherwise, you will find yourself at a serious disadvantage when it comes to creating the type of work you need for success.
- Though you have undoubtedly heard of Photoshop, and maybe even used it, that isn't enough if you want to become a web designer. You will need to be proficient at image enhancement.
- While Photoshop is an invaluable tool, you will need to understand how to use Adobe Illustrator as well. Use it to create logos and various vector art that will wow your clients.
- Dreamweaver, another Adobe product, makes it much easier for you to code HTML and CSS. This tool will allow you to keep track of your progress with visualization while you are coding, making the process faster and more successful.
- Many tools, apps and plugins are out there that can help you as well. Explore your options and pick the right ones that help you boost your productivity.
Improve Your Soft Skills
- You can have the best design skills on the planet, but if you lack organization and people skills, you are doomed to failure. Make sure that you know how to communicate well with others. If conversation has never been your strong suit, take the time to bolster your skills. You will be amazed at what a difference this can make in your ability to attract clients.
- Likewise, web designers must be competent enough to work on their own, but capable of being a team player when the need arises. Even if you intend to run your own web design company, you will still have to work with the client's team.
- Organization is an often overlooked soft skills. Take an online course, read an e-book, listen to audio book or find another reliable resource that will help you to track your projects. Doing so will help to ensure that you deliver on time without going over budget.
- Entrepreneurial success depends on your ability to market yourself and your business. Find out how you can attract new clients and retain existing ones. If you have weak spots in your skills, either hone them or pay someone else to handle those business basics for you.
Become A Perpetual Student
- When you have mastered the skills mentioned above, don't make the mistake of thinking you can rest on your laurels and continue to have success. You must constantly learn new skills and hone existing ones. As mentioned above, new plugins and tools are rolling out regularly. If you don't keep up with these trends, you might find yourself outdated before you know it.
- One of the best ways to keep your finger on the pulse of the industry is to follow leaders in web design. For instance, you might follow the blog of a web designer you really admire. You can find out about design competitions and other tips that experts use to thrive.
The field of web design is booming right now, as businesses everywhere struggle to meet the demands associated with the internet. If you are interested in a career with a positive outlook, follow these suggestions to become a web design expert.